Wednesday, July 6, 2011

ch78 hdc1 dct FPdc3 BPdc3, sc1 st, slst 4 sk3...Translation Please!


Is it possible to get bored when you have 3 littles under 3?

Affirmative.

We have been in our "Summer home" for 4.5 weeks now and with only a couple bags of clothing, some toys, craft and learning supplies for the littles, a stack of library books (also for the littles), and the  food in the fridge...not to mention a Mister who is studying all day, most days...the down time (did I really just admit that I have "down time"?) gets a little bit boring. If you haven't noticed by now, I am the kind of gal who loves to have some kind of project going at all times.

Well, I have always wanted to learn to crochet and thanks to this boredom (and this lovely baby blanket pattern I found on-line), I have finally had the motivation to do so!

Closer view


Yesterday, the littles and I took a trip to Hobby Lobby (EEEE!!!) to pick out the perfect yarn and a crochet hook. What an absolute THRILL!

Later in the day, while the littles napped, I visited You Tube and found several videos on how to crochet.

I am now pleased to announce that I can actually read most beginner-intermediate level crochet patterns and am well on my way to starting my first crochet project ever!


Now it's your turn. What kinds of things have you always wanted to do/learn?

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Ironically, I just rediscovered my crochet hook and have been trying to whip up a scarf. So far, it's a little--ahem--uneven...okay...VERY uneven and there are holes everywhere and the yarn is hoplessly tangled! Maybe I'll need to consult You Tube as well. ;)
    It's good to hear that you all are settling in. You are in my prayers!
    Love,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I crochet a teeny bit, and I love it! This winter I was BORED (it happens to everyone!) and I actually enrolled in a knitting class. I'm hoping to do the "advanced" one this winter. I don't know how to sew, really, but I do have a sewing machine and have tackled a few projects...just don't look too closely ;-) .

    I think as "at home moms" it always important to be learning something new. I never knew how to do much of anything ;-), so I am having fun learning all of these things one a time. Bread making, baking, cooking thrift shopping, embroidering, etc., are all really fun once you learn how to do them!

    By the way, I used your tutorial for those fabric flowers, and they turned out great! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, Good for you! Keep it up! <3

    Mallory, You are quite possibly one of the coolest mothers I know! A knitting CLASS??? Get out! I'd LOVE to take a class like that! Good for you!

    I completely agree that having little projects going in the "spare" time breaks up the monotony that can sometimes accompany being a stay at home mom. You are so amazing for learning all that you know in just a few short years! I never would have guessed it! Really.

    AND...I am thrilled to hear that you made the fabric flowers! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and Kathleen, Do check out You Tube for AWESOME tutorials on how to crochet each stitch and some neat patterns as well! It is truly revolutionary! ; ) I especially liked the tutorials by the Knit Witch.

    ReplyDelete