Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Make Your Own Flower Food

Mush Alert!

This weekend my Mr went out of town to stand up in a friend's wedding. Let me tell you, there are very few things we LIKE  about being apart from one another...I mean the workday, five days a week, is hard enough...but we REALLY don't like being apart overnight!

That being said, there is at least ONE perk to being apart from one another...for a day or so...namely....the homecoming.

I usually will make him a nice meal, and write a mushy love note about how my life would never be as wonderful without him, and the littles help me make a "welcome home" sign...

 ...and when he comes through the door, he always brings with him a great number of these...




XOXOXOXO ...to go around...




...usually some of these...


...and most likely some of these...


These are the beauties I was lovingly presented with this time around.




Yes. Reunion is SWEET indeed.


Ok, so enough about us! I know YOU all want to know how to make food for your flowers! So, here is my recipe for keeping flowers fresh and lovely for as long as possible.



Flower Food

Directions:
  1. Cut each stem at an angle (this allows the flowers to take in water most efficiently).
  2. Add 1 quart of warm (not hot) water to a clean vase or jar.
  3. Mix in 1 tsp. white sugar (flowers love this stuff!) and 1 Tbsp. white vinegar (this thins the water/sugar mixture enough that the flower can take in what it needs and also helps prevent bacteria from growing in the H2O and thus entering and killing the flower).
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 every 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. Detta - We're the same way! Overnights are terrible! Last year my Mr had to go to advanced training for a week . . . I had to mentally prepare myself for it because we're never apart that long. But it was really fantastic to see how much we had to visit about when he returned.

    You're so sweet and I'm so glad to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete