Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Make Your Own Hearty, Healthy, and Delicious Pancake Mix!

Do you ever get that bloated, food coma, "I need a nap" feeling after a nice plate of pancakes? This used to happen to me every single time I'd eat them...which was a HUGE predicament because they happen to be one of my FAVORITE things to eat.

I noticed that all of the instant mixes made me feel even worse so I browsed several cookbooks looking for the perfect pancake recipe and found one called "Favorite Pancakes" in my mother's Betty Crocker Cookbook...you know the one...old, red, falling-apart-at-the-seams...yeah that one.

Let me just say that the name didn't lie...that recipe was GOOD. REAL GOOD. But it still didn't leave me FEELING good INSIDE.

After a lot of reading and research about food, nutrition, and nourishment, I realized that the reason I didn't FEEL good after eating pancakes had everything to do with the ingredients. Hmmm...

 I decided to take this recipe and do a little tweeking...(which you'll find I do quite often)...

...and now I have what we call the "Betta' with Detta Favorite Pancake Mix". The cakes turn out light, fluffy, hearty, healthy, and delicious every time! Today I'll share my recipe with you.

For one batch you will need the following:

Wet Ingredients:
  • 1 Egg
  • 1C. Buttermilk (Tip: You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1Tbsp. vinegar to 1C. milk and letting it curdle for 30 seconds)
  • 1/3 C. Water
  • 2Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you can easily substitute melted coconut oil or butter for E.V.O.O.)
Dry Ingredients:
  • 1C. Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Tbsp. Stevia (you can substitute honey or pure maple syrup but I use Stevia to make one less step for later)
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt

Derections:
  1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together first and set aside. (See picture below)
  2. Crack the egg in a separate bowl and beat it with a whisk until it is light and fluffy. (See picture below)
  3. Add buttermilk (for homemade b. milk see pic. below), water, and oil and stir.
  4. Set burner at "med." and begin heating your frying pan.
  5. Now add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is wet. The batter may be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix. (See picture below) 
  6. When your pan is hot (water should sizzle when sprinkled on it) grease pan with butter or coconut oil.(See picture below)
  7. Pour in 1/3-1/2 C. pancake batter and wait until the batter stops bubbling. (See picture below)
  8. Using a spatula, flip the pancake over. (See picture below)
  9. Wait about 30 sec.-1 minute and remove your pancake from the pan.
  10. Repeat steps 6-9 until all of the batter is used up.
  11. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy your delicious and nutritious pancakes! (See picture below)
* makes approx. ten 4in. pancakes


Tip: I like to mix several batches of the dry ingredients all at once to make my own pancake mix. For fast pancakes whenever you want them just stir together 1C. of the dry mixture and the wet ingredients listed above.

       Ta Da! Pancake mix to enjoy whenever you'd like! Tip: You can also pour your dry mix in an airtight freezer bag and store it it in the freezer for added freshness.








Step #1 - Dry ingredients mixed


 
Step #2 - Egg beaten with whisk until light and fluffy


Step #3 - Buttermilk! Who knew it could be so easy? Can you see all that beautiful curdling going on?


Step #5 - Dry and wet ingredients mixed without over mixing.


Step #6 - This pan is just the right temp...can you see that butter? It is sizzling but not burning/browning.


Step #7 - Puffy with no more bubbles coming to the top...this pancake is ready to flip.



Perfecto!


Now that is one hearty lookin' pancake!


Hmmm...a sticky situation we have here....(No. I don't usually allow my "nearly two" to pour his own syrup...I guess you CAN have too much of a good thing!)





Topping Ideas: Some of our favorite toppings include fresh cut fruit with a little honey/Stevia, fruit and yogurt, honey and butter, and real maple syrup and butter...oh! and fresh whipped cream is always welcome as a scrumptious addition to any of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment