Today's meatless recipes are Tuna Wraps/Croissants.
We like to serve these with fresh cut fruit or a deli style pickle spear.
Tip: When shopping for pickles, I try to avoid anything with dyes, high fructose corn syrup, or a lot of preservatives...I usually find these in the refrigerator section.
These wraps/sandwiches are so fast and delicious that I think we'll end up making them for lunch every Friday.
Here is the recipe for our "Classic Wrap":
- 5-6 whole wheat/spinach tortillas
- 1 package tuna ( I like to use the family 11oz packages by StarKist because it ends up being the perfect amount for our family. I also prefer this over canned tuna because tuna cans are lined with a plastic film that contains BPA)
- Mayo/Salad Dressing to taste (E.V.O.O. may be substituted for the mayo. Do what you like)
- 2-3 on the vine tomatoes sliced (these tend to be a little smaller than other tomatoes but make up for it with their wonderfully fresh flavor)
- Red onion finely chopped/thinly sliced (to taste)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Lettuce (we use what we've got which usually ends up being spinach, romaine, or Spring mix...we like dark green)
- Provolone/Swiss Cheese (we prefer Provolone in Wraps and Swiss in Croissants)
For a little extra "zing" try a few of these optional additions:
- fresh cilantro (chopped)
- olives sliced (Calamari or black)
- a zip of lemon/lime juice
- a little pesto
- minced Serrano pepper
Directions: Mix the tuna and mayo together. Add tuna and toppings to your tortilla. Wrap it up. Enjoy!
Variation: If you're feeling adventurous try eliminating the tortillas and replacing them with large romaine/butter lettuce leaves (wrapping all the tuna and toppings in the leaves) and adding black beans. Yum!
|Romaine Lettuce Leaf|